The holidays are coming, and if you are like me you may be starting to panic just a little bit. I start out each year with this big plan to save money each month and pick up little sales items throughout the year. Then November comes and I’m like, oops! If you can relate (surely I am not the only procrastinator around here!), here are some ways that you can make some extra money for those “last minute” presents.
For The Crafty Mommas…..
Oh, this is soooo the time that you start organizing and honing your craft! Plenty of people want to buy unique decorations, jewelry, or other crafts around the holidays (me!). Not only do people enjoy purchasing festive decorations for their own homes, but many like to gift one-of-a-kind items as well.
If you think you may be crafty, but are running dry on ideas check out my Pinterest board for Christmas decor. The majority of them are homemade because that is all that my budget allows for this year. All of them are super cute, but only a few of mine (hopefully, anyway) will not be Pinterest fails. A lot of people will pay to have homemade décor and gifts that are not, well, fails.
Places to sell your crafts include, but are not limited to:
- Flea markets
- Farmers markets
- Facebook groups
For The Creative Mommas
If you enjoy writing, try freelancing or blogging. Now, let me go ahead and warn that typically it takes time to make money from writing and/or blogging. I have heard some of those wonderful stories where people start writing and their career takes off. But for most people, this is not the norm.
See if your local publications will accept submissions from freelancers, or search online for publications that pay for submissions. My first submission was accepted in less than a week! But then I froze up and have only pitched two other articles since (in two years).
As for blogging, you will need to think of how you want to monetize your blog. Do you have a service that you want to offer, such as web design or stock images? Or are you wanting to help people by sharing a part of yourself? Would you be interested in utilizing affiliate marketing to make money? You have to consider if you want to self host (which I would recommend if you want to make money. I use Bluehost.), or if you are planning on using a free platform. Like I said before, blogging can take a long time before you see any money but I had to mention it just in case you could be one of those rock stars straight out of the gate. Plus, you can always start now in order to be prepared for next year!
Another interesting way to make some extra money is to take old beat up furniture, give it new life, and then sell it for more than you have invested. Think Flea Market Flip on HGTV. You can either go out and buy used furniture from flea markets or garage sales, or you can look at furniture that you have that you may not want/need anymore.
For The Not Crafty, Not Creative, But Still In Need of Extra Money Mommas….
Think outside of the box. There are plenty of ways for you to make extra money for the holidays even if you don’t fit into the categories above.
- Are you good at wrapping presents? People like me would gladly pay for someone to wrap gifts for me. Not only do I get aggravated trying to even get the stupid tape to stick to the stupid present instead of my stupid fingers, but it looks like my toddler did the work instead of an adult woman. I mean seriously, it’s bad.
- Babysit for people while they Christmas shop. Sometimes it can be nearly impossible to find time to shop without your kids- especially if you are a busy momma with a large family. Figure out how much money you would be willing to pay for some quiet shopping time ( and maybe a latte all by yourself, if we are going to dream) and charge that price. Just check out your local laws regarding day care services- some states have strict guidelines. There are different places to advertise, as well. I belong to several supportive mom groups on Facebook that allow for advertising posts on certain days. Many of my local stores have bulletin boards for people to advertise on, as well. And, don’t forget your friends! Word of mouth is always a great idea!
- If you enjoy working with kids, tutor. I know, right now you are wondering what tutoring has to do with the holidays. Well, a lot of school districts have the end of the semester right before winter break. High school students, especially, may need extra help to get their grades up in order to get credit.
Why You Should Make Extra Money (Even If You Don’t Need It)
Now that Halloween is over, and the skulls and gravestone displays are being replaced by jolly fat men and designer trees, it is a good time to begin thinking of ways to make some cash for the holidays. Even if you don’t necessarily need extra money, wouldn’t it be nice if you could have some in your wallet after the holidays?
Think about what you could do with a surplus budget after the holidays!
- You can actually do something for yourself! I know, sometimes that seems impossible for us mommas. Or maybe it is the last thing that you would even think of doing. My husband just recently reminded me that I have not purchased any new clothing for myself lately. I am so guilty of saying that I am going shopping for me and then get sucked into a good sale at one of my favorite children’s stores. If you don’t need anything new, try a new experience! Never been to a spa? Go! Wanted to try skydiving but never had a sitter? Splurge! Yes, there is a pretty big leap from getting a facial to leaping out of a plane. But think outside of the box!
- Do something for you and your significant other. Hire a sitter and go dancing! Or try that new comedy club that you heard great things about! Perhaps you haven’t slept without a kiddo in between you in forever. Find a sitter and take a nap!
- Throw it on some debt. Make an extra car payment. Pay off a credit card. You never know when you are going to be thanking yourself for being so resourceful. Check out my post on how to create a budget.
- Save it! We don’t have a crystal ball, so we don’t know what is in store for us in the future. Having a cushion can really save you some sanity if something unfortunate was to happen.
Are there any ways that you like to make extra money? Give us some ideas in the comments!